Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Though you'll never get the chance to party at Jay Gatsby's West Egg mansion, you can certainly incorporate Art Deco-inspired pieces into your modern wardrobe. Don't want to look like you're stepping out in costume? Heed this advice from Malena Martinez, owner of the vintage boutique Malena's Vintage: "For everyday Gatsby wear, you need to pare it down and mix it with stuff that's reflective of you and not just reflective of a movie," she says. "I'll mix a crazy beaded necklace or a piece in my hair with a normal t-shirt from H&M and a pair of jeans."
Here, in honor of today's blockbuster premiere of Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby, Martinez shows us ten '20s-inspired pieces from her West Chester boutique that would surely get Daisy Buchanan's stamp of approval.—Courtney Conigliaro
- Fringed red dress, $68
- 1920s sheer sequined black blouse, $95
- Beaded cropped top, $42
- 14K white gold cameo pin/pendant, $225
- 1980s multistrand pearl necklace, $38
- Vintage scarf with Art Deco stained glass print, $16
- Ferragamo pumps, $52
- 1960s rhinestone necklace (used as a hair piece), $42
- Antique fringed tapestry purse from France, $185
- 1920s handmade straw hat with hand beaded glass flower, $32