Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Blue Seersucker Blazer, $329; White Essential Shirt, $79;
- Premium Plaid Blazer, $429; Navy Pinstripe Shirt, $99;
- Cardinal and Stone Micro-Design Blazer, $329; Navy and Red Gingham Shirt, $99
- La Boca Chinos in Golden Rod, $129
- La Boca Chinos in Salmon, $99
- Purple Silk Label Pin, $39
- Paul Smith Straw Feather Trilby Hat, $165 at Forzieri.com.
- Indochino Plaid Linen Bow Tie, $39
We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to bring you Ian Michael Crumm, our resident men's fashion expert, here to share style pointers and tips for tackling the latest trends in menswear. Straighten those neckerchiefs—Ian is on the go! Dear men going to a derby-themed event,
Horse race season is upon us and guys are asking me what they should wear. Preakness at The Piazza and The Radnor Hunt Races are both May 18. Fortunately, the online custom menswear company Indochino is here in Philly for a pop-up suit shop through May 27. In spirit of the pop-up event and those upcoming equine happenings, I asked Indochino's Adrien Grey to answer some style questions. To the seersucker!
What's your perfect derby outfit?
It's all about Southern style. Dress in a well-tailored seesucker suit, solid shirt, and a colorful tie to kick off the season. And don't forget about your straw hat!
Any tips for derby dressing?
1) Dress light and stay cool. Wear a seersucker, cotton, or linen suit in a lighter shade. 2) Stay in the shade. A boater, panama hat or any semi-formal straw hat are all good choices. 3) Embrace a preppy look. Don't be scared to throw on a bow tie or a daring pocket square.
Are bow ties back?
Bow ties haven't gone anywhere! Look for pastel colors or subtle prints this season, and there's no excuse to get it pre-tied—go for the real deal!
What suit styles are hot for spring?
Double breasted suits have been slowly creeping back into style for the past few seasons, but now they're here in full force. No longer baggy and over-the-top, we're now seeing them slimmed down with a very contemporary fit. Pair a pinstripe pattern with a peak lapel for the perfect power suit or simplify it in a deep navy, chino, and a colorful shirt for a relaxed weekend look. Also, vibrant colors are definitely in style this season. Bright yellows, icy blues, and intense oranges. Dare to be bold.
Tailored or off-the-rack?
A good suit must be tailored to your shape. It will accentuate your best features and make you feel more confident. People are sure to take notice.
· Indochino [Official Site]
· All I.M. Crumm, Style Concierge posts [Racked Philly]