Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The countdown is on until Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start of summer travel. So you've procrastinated and you're staring at an empty weekender? Don't fret! Here are 15 essentials to pack for a tropical escape.—Latanya Vicks
- A romper or jumpsuit is an easy outfit. Pair with flat sandals for day, and add funky jewelry and wedges for a sexy summer nighttime look. Printed Wrap Skort Romper, $175 from
- BB Dakota Lyric Jumpsuit, $88 at Arcadia.
- When it comes to cut-offs, the older, the better. Vintage Levi's 501 shorts, $15 from Bulk Vintage.
- Make sure to pack two swimsuits so you can wear one while the other is drying. Robin Piccone Ikat Twist Bandeau Bikini, $132.50 at South Moon
- La Blanca French Polka Dot Halter One Piece Swimsuit, $119.50 at South Moon Under.
- The workhorse of any wardrobe, the chambray top can be used as a casual jacket and a beach cover up. Knot the front and pair it with a colorful maxi skirt for a casual, cool daytime look.
- Stay dry, stay fly. Echo Calypso Beach Towel, $28.50 at South Moon Under.
- Stock a straw bag with cash, keys, a beach towel, and loads of sunscreen. Beach Tote, $32 at Vagabond.
- An oversized scarf will keep you warm on the plane and serve as a sarong, makeshift halter, or a stylish turban. Sayami New York Giraffe Print Scarf, $79.95 at Scarlet
- The smaller the top, the more you can pack. Throw a few tanks and tees in your suitcase; they pair well with cut-offs, printed pants, or a maxi skirt for a fun vacation look.
- Philly is for Lovers Tank, $24 at South Street's Cheesesteaktees.
- Depending on how it’s styled, a shirt dress can take you from sightseeing to the beach to an evening out. C Luce Shirt Dress, $54 at Kembrel.
- A cocktail dress—because “No work Monday” is cause for some well-deserved partying on Sunday. Aryn K Sweetheart Neck Peplum Dress, $84 at Kembre
- Wear some sneakers for traveling, and pack flat sandals and versatile wedges that can go from day to night. Converse Chuck Taylors, $50;
- Protect those peepers and enhance any outfit with these classic shades. EyebobsTortoise Sunglasses, $99 at Old City's Scarlett Alley;
- A wide brimmed hat is stylish sun protection at its best. Christy's Fancy Crochet Raffia Rancher, $65 at Kembrel.
- Embrace your hair's natural texture and spray on a sunshield or slather on a hair mask for ultimate protection against chlorine, salt water, and sun. Phyto Plage Protective Sun Veil Strong Protection
- Take a vacation from technology and cuddle up with a good ol' fashioned book.
· All Buy It Now posts [Racked Philly]