Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
When it comes to wedding planning, the devil's in the details. Translation: Your perfect Pinterest wedding has the potential to go from fantasy to nightmare faster than you can say "baker's twine"—but only if you procrastinate. "If you want a DIY wedding to truly make it your own, be sure to plan ahead," advises Sara Murray, stylist at URBN Inc.'s bridal brand, BHLDN. "Leaving things to the last minute is a major culprit when it comes to decorating disasters. Ask for help!"
We traveled to BHLDN headquarters, where Murray walked us through styling a breathtaking tablescape, shared decorating tips, and revealed the 10 elements crucial for making your garden wedding decor truly spectacular.
Element 1: Fresh Flowers."If your favorite flowers are out of season, look for a color match and size match."
- Ridged Tin Vases, $4—$12
- Element 2: Soft Lighting. "If the venue doesn't permit real candles, LED lights give the same warm glow. They're also a go-to choice for hanging lanterns." (
- Element 3: Found Objects."Reuse items from your home, like these wrought iron garden chairs we had here at HQ."
- "Consider repurposing some fabric into a table runner. Here, we used lace left over from another project."
- Element 4: A Neutral Place Setting. "Let the atmosphere shine!" (Anthropologie Anatolia Dinnerware, $12—$18)
- Chrysanthemum Block Print Napkin, $18 at Terrain
- Element 5: The Perfect Place Card. Kraft Paper Place Cards, $12/set of 50
- Terrestrial Place Card Holders, $28/set of six
- Element 6: The Perfect Table Number. "A font can make a wedding and carry your look throughout the day—on menus, place cards, and signage." (
- Element 7: An exciting backdrop. "Layer something neutral with something more graphic." (Parchment Pennant Garland
- Element 8: Plenty of Sweets. "Tiny treats are great to give your guests a variety. It allows you to pick multiple options so you can really include all of your favorites."
- Royal Icing Cake Stands, $228;
- Dream in Lace Plates, $78/set of six
- Element 9: A Signature Cocktail. (Derby Cups, $18/ea;
- Celebrate Cake Server, $48
- Element 10: Personalization. "Share something you love with your guests!" (Number Bottle Stopper, $10/ea;