Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Long gone are the days of stuffy hotel ballrooms and banquet halls; these days, it's all about the garden wedding—the deceptively casual, outdoor affair with personal, handcrafted touches at its core. But don't be fooled: Those wire-wrapped mason jars and calligraphed place cards were a thorn in the bride's side one week prior to the big event. To spur your creativity, we've corralled 12 must-haves for any Philly indie wedding. Happy planning!
- Let's begin with the venue. No local place can match the cultivated charm of Terrain at Styers, Urban Outfitters' garden/home store in Glen Mills. Who wouldn't want to tie the knot under
- A DIY wedding is all about being thrifty and ingenuitive without sacrificing the overall aesthetic. That said, a true DIY bride doesn't pay retail for her gown. Instead, she scours consignment bridal boutiques like Sa
- A delicate lace veil will only get snagged in your succulent bouquet. Opt for a flower crown by Philly florist Sullivan Owen, $125. (Image credit:
- Just like the DIY touches of the ceremony, these bowties are handcrafted—from vintage fabric remnants, no less. (Bowties, $68 by Philly's Forage)
- Conventional flowers for an indie bride? No way. These beauties are organically grown. (Earth-friendly bouquets from eco-florist Hana & Posy. Image credit: Hana &
- The sparkle and shine of this mercury glass votive and tray ($12 at The Little Apple) will complement your burlap tablerunner.
- The signature cocktail needs to made from Art in the Age spirits, obviously...
- ...and be served in Anniversary Ball Mason Jars ( $17.95/6pk at Paper Source). Don't forget the paper straws.
- Eggs and butter need not apply. Chow down on this wedding cake from South Street's vegan bakery, Sweet Freedom Bakery.
- From Etsy, this LOVE Cake Topper ($110) is a nod to Philly without being too "theme-y."
- Provide these Liberty Bell Cookie Favors ($4.50/ea at Fishtown's Whipped Bakeshop) for the eggs-and-butter set.
- Send 'em home with Marcie Blaine's Philly Series Chocolates, $17.95/9pc box.
· 23 Amazing Venues for Your Non-Country Club Wedding [Racked Philly]