Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Whether you're a student, starting a new job, or just looking for a change of scenery, summer is a popular time to move into a new place. After the lease is signed and your U-Haul is officially unpacked, it's time to get shopping! Have some anxiety about that impending September 1 move-in date? Here are 10 must-haves for setting up house.—Latanya Vicks
- 1) A mid-sized, neutral sofa. Pick something that’s big enough to seat you and some friends, yet small enough to fit through your apartment door. The Philadelphian Sofa, $1,080 on sale at Pin
- 2) Wall candy. No need to shell out major bucks on original art; spice up white walls with student artwork from Philly’s many local art schools or shop local boutiques for prints under $100.
- More of a black and white person? Surround this Sycamore Street Press print ($35 at Art Star) with your own black and white photos for an insane gallery wall.
- 3) A luxurious bed. Because everyone needs a place to conk out. Try an upholstered style with the most luxe bedding you can afford. Beige Queen Upholstered B
- Masterson Queen Upholstered Bed, $399.99, also from Furniture Lifestyle
- 4) A stand-out rug. Cover a hideous carpet in your rental or protect your toes from a frigid hardwood floor. Fallon Reversible Rug, $399 at Arch Street's Grossman Furn
- 5) Hip Lighting. This versatile clear lamp base lets you go wild and crazy with the shade. Buy a printed shade or customize a basic white shade with paint splatters, twine, or DIY grosgrain ribbon stripes.
- 6) Kitchen Essentials. A few pots, some good knives, barware, and basic dishware should set you up for your first dinner party. Joseph Joseph Mul
- The Cellar Dinnerware, $35 at Center City's Macy's
- 7) A customized desk. Add some Parisian flair to your home office with a French Provincial desk. Customize the piece with a coat of high gloss paint in hot pink, turquoise, or black. Add some original hardware to make it pop.
- Bubbled Glass Handles, $24 at Anthropologie
- 8) Fresh Flowers. Perk up any room with fresh flowers. Join an organic flower CSA (community-supported agriculture program) or pick up a bouquet at your local florist. Lancaster Farm Fresh Co-op
- 9) Window treatments. Let in natural light with elegant sheers. Gypsy Panel-Rod Pocket Curtains, $21 from Castor Avenue's Marburn Curtains
- 10) A conversation piece. Whether it’s a sculpture, unique vintage find, or embellished dress form, every home should have a "wow"object that piques houseguests’ interest.
- Grazing Giraffe Stool, $79 at Ten Thousand Villages
- Unity Sculpture, $20 at Ten Thousand Villages