Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- "My absolute favorite is this short sleeve, cape-style trench from Yohji Yamamoto. It's effortlessly chic and goes with anything."
- Zeitz styles her trench with an Enza Costa long sleeve tee, super skinny white Yoga jeans, Saint Laurent studded pumps, and Balenciaga Maillon Palladim purse.
- Zeitz's trench and Balenciaga bag are sold out, but her Saint Laurent Escarpin pumps ($1,205) are still available at th
- To get the look, Zeitz suggests this Junya Watanabe Trench Coat ($1,676), now in stock at Joan Shepp.
Just a little over two weeks separate us from the official start of spring, the glorious time when outerwear is more suited to fending off the occasional rain shower than a ridiculous amount of snow and sleet. Since it's been a while since we've striven for any look other than "warm," we've enlisted Joan Shepp sales manager Amy Zeitz to give us a refresher course in the trench coat.
After the jump, Zeith shows us how she styles her go-to Yohji Yamamoto trench, shares some styling pointers, and tells us what to look for when shopping this springtime staple.
What to look for when shopping for a trench
1) The jacket should fit; the shoulders and arms should be fitted. The rest of the body can be cinched in with the belt, but a good fit up top is a must.
2) The color should be flattering. Trenches typically come in a classic camel color, but this season we've seen lots of variations on the shade. Not every shade of camel works on every skin color, so choose carefully.
3) A trench can be any length past the thigh. Longer is more traditional and delivers the most wow factor, but more petite ladies can rock this season's shorter looks with the same effect—without being confined to a five-inch heel.
How to dress up a trench
1) Pair it with a dressy pant or something shiny on the bottom. Find a pretty blouse to tuck in and finish the look with an evening shoe from Nicholas Kirkwood, a statement earring or ring from Miriam Salat, and a great clutch bag.
2) The trench can be tied off in the back tightly creating a cut-away effect in the front.
3) Swap out the self belt for something metallic.
How to dress down a trench
1) Pair it with a cool hoodie from Rick Owens, a drop crotch pant from aloha rag, a mini Stella McCartney crossbody bag and a 3.1 Philip Lim sneaker.
2) Add some rock 'n' roll jewelry, like a chain wrap bracelet from Lizabeth.
3) Throw the trench over your shoulders sans sleeves, and let the trench act as a cape. Tres chic.
· Joan Shepp [Official Site]
· Joan Shepp's New Spot on Chestnut Is Shaping Up for Greatness [Racked Philly]
· How Aoki's Alina Alter Styles White-Hot Winter Looks [Racked Philly]